I do not at all understand the mystery of grace – only that it mets us where we are but does not leave us where we found it.
I think we can safely say, without fear of exaggeration, we are all facing a personal crisis. The enormous threat of the Coronavirus has serious consequences throughout the world. It, also, has very real significance in our own lives. Not since our parents generation faced the Second World War have we, as a country, been called upon to, not only, make huge sacrifices, but to figure out how we survive the situation we find ourselves in.
I came across five ideas for things to do when you are in crisis, written by Jodo Lobozzo Aman. I don’t think it was meant as a guide for how to deal with a pandemic , but I do think the ideas are useful.
- Get busy. Taking action helps decrease anxiety.
- Get connected. We are social creatures. Connect with someone
- Do research. Odds are someone else has been through something similar and come out the other side.
- Be in the moment. Focus on what you need to do right now.
- Trust yourself. We have greater capacity than we think we do when put to the test.
As hopeless as it seems in this moment, we will get through this. Someday we will say to each other, “Remember when?” We are living in a unique time in history that not many experience and we will learn useful lessons.